Visual Aids: A mirror that is large enough for everyone to see but small enough for you to hold.
Good morning boys and girls. How are you today? It’s great to see you here. You all look so nice. The guys are so handsome, and the girls are so beautiful. Have you looked in the mirror lately to see how nice you really look? [Pull out mirror]. This is the mirror I like to look in every morning to make sure I look OK. Now, I want you to tell me what you see in this mirror when I hold it up here.[Hold the mirror up, but with the back facing the children instead of the front]. Now, what do you see? [Allow various responses] Oh, I’m sorry, you can’t see the mirror very well like that. Here, let me hold it the right way. [Hold the mirror up but place something in front of it so the children still cannot see]. Now what do you see? [Allow various responses]. Oh, I’ve done it again. I’m sorry. Here, maybe this will help. [Shake the mirror vigorously back and forth so that the children can’t focus]. Now what do you see? [Wait for responses]. Well, I’ve done it again. I can’t seem to figure out what’s wrong here. What should I do so you can see your reflection in the mirror? [Let them answer]. Well, you’re right. There are three things that must be true for you to be able to see your reflection.
1. The mirror has to be pointed in your direction.
2. There can’t be anything between the mirror and your eyes.
3. The mirror must be held still.
1. Like the mirror, we have to be pointed in the right direction. If we have turned our backs on God, people won’t be able to see in our “mirror.” We must turn around [repentance] and face Jesus and do the things He wants us to.
2. Like the mirror, there can’t be anything between us and Jesus, or people won’t be able to see in our “mirror.” If we’re being mean to our brothers or sisters, or not listening to our parents, or doing something we know God doesn’t want us to, then we have sin in our lives that stands between us and God. We’ve got to ask God to forgive us so that there won’t be anything between us and God, and then other people will be able to see Jesus in us.
3. Like the mirror, we must be still before God. The Bible says to “be still and know that He is God.” That means we need to take time each day to get alone with God, read our Bible, and pray — focusing on what God wants for us. When we get still like that, people will be able to see Jesus in us.
Isn’t that neat, how God made us mirrors for Jesus? Let’s bow our heads and pray that God would make us be a mirror for Him today.[Close in prayer.]