Break into groups of 4-8 youth. (This can be done with 1 group or 10 groups.) Each group has a youth leader parent that goes with them.
Begin by reviewing the contents of the Bible with the each youth looking at their Bibles’ contents. Old Testament / The first 5 books are the books of Moses, the next group tell the history of the Jewish people, songs, proverbs, and prophets. The New Testament starts with the Gospels, the Acts of the Disciples, followed by the letter of the apostles. Read through each of the books and note the difference between 1st and 2nd Corinthians, Colossians and 1st and 2nd Chronicles.
Then develop a scavenger hunt where the kids have to find the next clue by reading a Bible verse and going to a location suggested by the verse. EX. Clue #1 says to read Acts 14:12 (indicates the clue could be in the pulpit) Clue #2 is Nehemiah 5:17 (clue will be on a table table), Clue #3 Collossians 3:16 (clue on hymnal) etc.
Use 10-12 clues.
The final clue tells the youth they have to find the youth leader who was with them but has mysteriously disappeared.
When a group finds their youth leader / parent. They return to the center location.
1. Prepare the clues and place them around the church before the youth group meets.
2. Clearly identify the group and clue number of each clue. (EX: GROUP # 2 – CLUE #4)
3. Have plenty of Bibles with the same translation. The examples at the end work well with the New Revised Standard or Good News translations.
Read rules to the group.
1. Do not touch a clue unless it is for your group and has the number of your next clue.
2. Do not yell if they see a clue. It could be for a different group. You don’t want to alert them to its location.
3. After they find their each clue, the entire group needs to return to the common area (youth room) to give the previous clue to the person in charge and read the next clue(verse).
4. Tell the groups what areas of the church are “off limits.” (Church office etc.)
5. A youth leader/ parent will go with them to see that rules are followed.
Examples are shown below for the activity with three groups.
The first clue is given to each group.
Bible Verse Where Next Clue is Hidden
Ecclesiastes 11:3 Tree
Acts 14:12 Pulpit
Nehemiah 5:17 Table
Colossians 3:16b Hymnal
1 Chronicles 15:29 Window
Revelations 18:13 Spice
John 5:11 Mat
Exodus 8:3 Pans
Find the leader Hiding in the Church
Lamentations 2:11 Nursery
Exodus 8:3 Oven
Genesis 8:9 Ark/Boat(Toy or model)
Ephesians 5:19 Hymnals
Exodus 15:29 Plates
Ezekiel 40:41 Tables
Luke 3:11 Coat-Rack